Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Nicknames Origins
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
(09-13-2011, 06:37 PM)Osku link Wrote:Add up here, all who's not here yet! Especially Overlord will be interesting.. Smile
It's obvious isn't it? Someone need to have a greater view, more like a president, and you all obey me.
And during WW2, the allied codename for the European invasion was Operation Overlord you know.

So, joke aside; no, it has nothing to do with WW2 or me imagine myself better than anyone else.

My nick origin from an old crime/detective game, Mean Streets. You was to investigate a accident/suspected Mafia murder. And the guy always getting there before you, messing up your plan, was nicked Overlord (even if he, from time to time, gave you good advices). Suits me don't it?
(09-13-2011, 10:31 PM)Overlord link Wrote:My nick origin from an old crime/detective game, Mean Streets. You was to investigate a accident/suspected Mafia murder. And the guy always getting there before you, messing up your plan, was nicked Overlord (even if he, from time to time, gave you good advices). Suits me don't it?
I always thought you got it from Starcraft: [url=
Tnx Var, NOW I know where that expression origin Smile
(09-13-2011, 06:37 PM)Osku link Wrote:Cool to know your names' origins, although Tony's story sounds weird. How about "Fat Tony" - does it come from The Simpsons TV series?

Whattdayamean with weird  :Smile?

ok, i could have told you the truth, but this story is much more interesting and exciting, you know... but its nothing to do with the simpsons.

The Fat grew out of the former habbit to put some prefix to our Nicks: It was "Devil" Llauma, "Saint" Bals, "Reaper" Hardrock and "Father" Tony. Since Father was too long i cut it down to fat one day ;-).

Cheers

Tony
(09-14-2011, 12:38 PM)Fat Tony link Wrote:The Fat grew out of the former habbit to put some prefix to our Nicks: It was "Devil" Llauma, "Saint" Bals, "Reaper" Hardrock and "Father" Tony. Since Father was too long i cut it down to fat one day ;-).

Bah. Let's stick the original.  ;D

(09-13-2011, 10:31 PM)Overlord link Wrote:My nick origin from an old crime/detective game, Mean Streets. You was to investigate a accident/suspected Mafia murder. And the guy always getting there before you, messing up your plan, was nicked Overlord (even if he, from time to time, gave you good advices). Suits me don't it?

Nice! Suits you well. Smile

and it's much better than from this (sounds scary):

[Image: Overlord-Raising-Hell-for-PC.jpg]
(09-14-2011, 02:59 PM)Osku link Wrote:and it's much better than from this...[Image: Overlord-Raising-Hell-for-PC.jpg]
Not entirely sure about that, regarding the variety of grenades available ;D
(09-13-2011, 06:37 PM)Osku link Wrote:My player name is a nickname/variation of my real first name. In finnish "Osku" is also common name for pet dogs, because in here it's Odie the dog in Garfield comics.

Well, we share a similar story. People having the same real name as me usually end up being nicknamed Misha. And of course all kinds of pets bear the name of Misha.

At my workplace we adopted a cat, and our boss named it Misha (note that people at my work don't call me by my nickname). One day a friend of mine came to visit me at my work and asked "is Misha here?". "Of course" they said, we just fed him. My friend noticed something strange is happening, but figured it was some kind of weird joke. And so they brought him to a room where the cat was and said "here's Misha! Ain't he cute?". And so my friend finally realized that a huge misunderstanding has been going on. Soon after I was told about what happened and had a good laugh.

And only recently I have found out that mascot of Moscow Olympic games was called Misha. See for yourself:
[Image: Img211717326.jpg]

This picture illustrates how I'm feeling about my nickname, look just how silly he looks.

Not to mention that I'm frequently mistook for a Russian in multiplayer games. "Привет Миша!"

Moral of the story is to never let the game choose the name for you. OFP simply copied the name of my computer, I didn't bother, just wanted to check how it works online and here I am stuck forever with a silly nickname. Yes, I want to change it but somehow I feel a lot of my identity, after all this time, will go away with it.
Haha great story!

And no, dont change it if there is no need. It's so damn confusing! (And I think misha is a fine nick anyway)
Mine:-  ck-claw

Many moons ago-56k dial up i picked 'the hooded claw' from a cartoon 'Penelope Pitstop'
Awhile later couldn't remember it and they offered an option? ck-claw
Which my 2 daughters names are Cerys & Kaiya so they're initials+ = ck-claw  Smile

The Hooded Claw

[url=

so an automatic system offered you an initials of your daughters as a nick?? cool!
(09-02-2013, 12:28 AM)Variable link Wrote:so an automatic system offered you an initials of your daughters as a nick?? cool!

Yepp-how randon is that!
Well, usually my nick would be either Phantom or Phantom Six. My old nick was Karaka but that was a few years ago on other games. The Six I got from Rainbow SIX. I picked Phantom since I wanted to pick something that represent a ghost or something. Ghost was too generic, Banshee screams too much, and I went with Phantom in the end.

Ironically, later when I googled up Phantom Six for my own curiosity of what I can find... I found some band who called themselves the Phantom Six. I got my nickname before they formed so I'm not copying them. They formed in 2011, my BIS forums register date year is 2010.

Maybe I should've kept my old nick, there's more phantoms than I thought.
Almost thought this forum didn't have a thread like this. :p

I won't pretend, I was 13 listening to gangsta rap when I came up with this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlawz

The number 7 came after I tried registering 'Outlawz' somewhere as a nickname and it said it was taken, so I needed to add something. Then I registered as 'Outlawz' on some forums I frequented and other game accounts and by the time I got Steam, I registered it as my Steam account name as well, this time adding even more bullshit numbers since 'Outlawz7' was also "taken".
(09-02-2013, 11:51 AM)Outlawz7 link Wrote:Almost thought this forum didn't have a thread like this. :p

I won't pretend, I was 13 listening to gangsta rap when I came up with this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlawz

The number 7 came after I tried registering 'Outlawz' somewhere as a nickname and it said it was taken, so I needed to add something. Then I registered as 'Outlawz' on some forums I frequented and other game accounts and by the time I got Steam, I registered it as my Steam account name as well, this time adding even more bullshit numbers since 'Outlawz7' was also "taken".
I appreciate your honesty lol! Smile
I added you on steam, it seems like your name there is just outlawz7, no other characters. Did I get the wrong person?
The name "Alwarren" comes from an old PC game called "Drakan". In the game there was a vast underground city where you had to retrieve the "Bellhammer of Alwarren". For whatever reason, the name stuck with me.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7