Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Nicknames Origins
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Like game of drones? I never liked fantasy novels actually never knew what all the fuss about westeros was, I prefer tales more closely linked to non fiction. Anybody a fan of the author Conan Holmes?
Sorry Alwarren, I didn't read the books, nor watched the series.
(09-12-2014, 04:20 AM)Watchmen link Wrote:Like game of drones? I never liked fantasy novels actually never knew what all the fuss about westeros was, I prefer tales more closely linked to non fiction. Anybody a fan of the author Conan Holmes?

I read for entertainment, so it doesn't matter to me whether it's real or fiction. In the case of Game of Thrones, I usually do not like the type of intrigue and plotting stories at all. I started out with a sample of the book from Google Play Store, and only stopped after I had finished "A dance with dragons", the last book in the series so far.

Why? Well, I had read Tolkien before, and other fantasy novels even though I was (and am) mostly into Science Fiction (meaning books, by authors like Arthur C. Clarke, Issac Asimov, and others of that caliber). What got me about A Song of Ice and Fire was the characters. I just think that they're fantastic (speaking of the books, haven't seen the series). Good characters and a good, intriguing and interesting story won me over.
(09-12-2014, 08:29 AM)kutya link Wrote:Sorry Alwarren, I didn't read the books, nor watched the series.

No worries Smile

I can wholeheartedly recommend the books if the prospect of undead, dragons and things like that doesn't scare you off. The books take pain to appear realistic, more like medieval history than a fantasy novel.
I read lots of science fiction and fantasy including most of Tolkien's works when I was younger. The last 10-15 years I mostly read classics like Dostoyevsky, Thoreau, etc. mixed with some Bukowski. Occassionally I read historical fiction and non-fiction. Tried re-reading Asimov recently, but it didn't pull me in. That drunken bastard Bukowski is more appealing to me nowadays Big Grin
My nickname comes from a huge lack in fantasy. Being on a LanParty the first time i needed a nickname, we played BF1942 (long long time ago when Battlefield still was good) and from the standart nickname "unnamed soldier" I just kept the unnamed. later I took to adding the GER since UnNamed more often than not was already taken online.

I think I will read the "Song of ice and fire" next, since I just ran out of books written by all the Authors I usually read from xD.
Also great are the "jack reacher" books by Lee Child (the movie sucked(as almost always)), the "john Rain" series by Barry Eisler, "victor the assassin" by Tom Wood, and of course the "Jack Ryan" books by  Tom Clancy.(I could keep on for a while but I think I rather stop here)
Long time ago when i was playing online Castle Wolfeistein: Behind enemylines i was a noob and i had to use as nickname pleasedontkillme for obvious reasons Smile.  I used for a while same nickname during online ARMA sessions, but cuz was too long i went for PDKM. To let people who am I i had to use PDKM alias pleasodontkillme, with the time i went even for a shorter and easier one... ALIAS Smile
Hi,

Why Iceman?

It's a long story... for the first i like all that flying: birds, helis and planes, you would remenber "Top Gun" and Val Kilmer as Kapten Tom 'Iceman' Kazanski.
Then, i also like the series "Generation kill" and the Sergeant Brad 'Iceman' Colbert, played by Alexander Skarsgård. Skarsgård is from Sweden. Is playing in true blod as Eric Northman, the Viking vampire.

That's it.
FlashPoint is name of my first pc game, and first game of BIS, which had trademark rights to british game studio, codemasters, and BIS had to use ArmA name after that. flashpoint was not only my first game experience on PC, that's my favorite game since I'm writing this! and let me be honest, I was playing IGI 1 in the same time too. I played that game for hours and had real problem with playing, even couldn't turn on that AH1 in mission convoy! also that was too hard for me to kill even one soldier, yeah my first gaming experience was started by a real hard game, I was also interested in story of campaign cold war crisis, so tried to read briefings and tasks, and that was my first shot to learn english! although I know that it still sucks!
hehe nice story Flashpoint! Starting off gaming with OFP is unique! Like starting to drive on a semi-trailer truck.

(03-23-2015, 03:38 PM)Variable link Wrote:hehe nice story Flashpoint! Starting off gaming with OFP is unique! Like starting to drive on a semi-trailer truck.
(:-D
Etzu, a variant of 'Etsu' which is Japanese for delightful (I think Etsu was taken in whatever game I played). I'm a fan of Japanese culture, most of my upper body is covered in traditional Japanese tattoos.
(04-04-2015, 05:47 PM)Etzu link Wrote:Etzu, a variant of 'Etsu' which is Japanese for delightful (I think Etsu was taken in whatever game I played).
Cool! When you first joined I was certain you are Finnish, Etzu's got a Finnish sound to me.

(04-04-2015, 05:47 PM)Etzu link Wrote:I'm a fan of Japanese culture, most of my upper body is covered in traditional Japanese tattoos.
I love tattoos! Send pics! Big Grin
Wait, so Etzu isn't scandinavian?  :o

I think I'm a bit biased by the sheer amount of Finnish guys playing Arma Smile
Rund I did the same mistake Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7