Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Nicknames Origins
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Very simple - I am left-handed. Which would explain why I can't hit the side of a barn in ARMA. :o
(09-02-2013, 08:47 PM)Lefty link Wrote:Very simple - I am left-handed. Which would explain why I can't hit the side of a barn in ARMA. :o

Looks like you're going to need a left-handed mouse Tongue
I picked Revan because, well......look to Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic. The Dark Lord of the Sith.... Darth Revan.... (any story details will not be spoiled here)

My first internet nickname (in the BF1942 days and such) was LtGeneralRevan, but I just simply brought it down to "Revan" and most of my internet friends took to calling me "Rev" for short (you guys can use that if it helps). Some people call me Raven (eh, it does sound cool and I tend to die and become a bird a lot in Arma) and some others have called me "Reverend". lol

Basically whatever you want to call me, I don't care, as long as it's not late for dinner (I AM NEVER LATE! I EAT PRECISELY WHEN I MEAN TO! lol). I answer to practically everything, though, but Rev is probably easier for me to go by.

@Lefty: Like Phantom said, left-handed mouse. Adding to that, right-handed keyboard? Wait how does that work? That would be even more awkward. Awkward enough to get a left-handed mouse. And you'd have to remap all the keys. Typical WSAD etc would be awkward to use should you start using a left-handed mouse. But alas, you are Lefty! So I guess anything with 'left' in it is a specialty of yours! Big Grin
My nickname Varanon is, well, totally random. I played Ultima V back in the days and created a character, and though "Wel, what name ?")... So I just smashed the keyboard a few times at it became Varanon.

Only later did I learn that it is also a given Name in Thailand, although not frequently used.
Offtopic alert!
(09-02-2013, 08:47 PM)Lefty link Wrote:Very simple - I am left-handed. Which would explain why I can't hit the side of a barn in ARMA. :o
Oddly enough, I'm left handed too, but only when it comes to FPS gaming! I recently bought a Razer left handed mouse and it feels less convenient than my faithful Microsoft mouse, which I'm  beginning to think is the best gaming mouse, at least for me. Surprisingly, the three gaming mouse I tried, from different brands, felt heavy and less accurate comparing to this Microsoft one. Too bad it doesn't have a left handed version or that comes with additional buttons a left handed fellow can use.

(09-03-2013, 07:13 AM)Revan link Wrote:...Adding to that, right-handed keyboard? Wait how does that work? That would be even more awkward. Awkward enough to get a left-handed mouse. And you'd have to remap all the keys. Typical WSAD etc would be awkward to use should you start using a left-handed mouse. But alas, you are Lefty! So I guess anything with 'left' in it is a specialty of yours! Big Grin
Nah, I use a regular keypboard with my right hand using the conventional WASD controls and it works fine. I do, however, remapped all the other keys.
[tt]Nah, I use a regular keypboard with my right hand using the conventional WASD
controls and it works fine. I do, however, remapped all the other keys.[/tt]

I use a normal right handed mouse but have it on the left side of my keyboard. I remap most keys including WSAD. To make it more complicated my keyboard is a German keyboard so some letters are already in different positions such as z and y. Still trying to work out the best key for push to talk on TS. Most of the right side keys I already use in Arma. I hate it when some games don't allow for remapping.
:-\
Cheers,
Lefty (and proud of it)

Hehe, and I was thinking "Pancho and Lefty" Big Grin
(09-02-2013, 01:18 PM)Variable link Wrote:I added you on steam, it seems like your name there is just outlawz7, no other characters. Did I get the wrong person?

No, you got me.
My nickname came from work, over 30 years ago now and its still stuck  :Smile. At the time I was very slim (and Fit Wink), also my real name is Paul and there was about 5 Paul's working on the Petrol Chemical Plant at the time! So they needed to call me by some other name. Ended up using it on line and in my email.

(09-13-2013, 10:41 AM)Stick link Wrote:My nickname came from work, over 30 years ago now and its still stuck  :Smile. At the time I was very slim (and Fit Wink), also my real name is Paul and there was about 5 Paul's working on the Petrol Chemical Plant at the time! So they needed to call me by some other name. Ended up using it on line and in my email.
That's a true nickname story Smile
Hmm, let's see if I can remember my story.

Many years ago, there was a special, limited-edition run of a coin (I can't recall what occasion it was meant to celebrate) which I bought and treasured and which became a sort of lucky charm in my mind (superstitious nonsense I know but hey), so I carried it with me always and was constantly playing with it (I actually lost it after a few years and was rather upset but luckily my friend had also bought one and knowing how much it meant to me, kindly gave me his one. I don't carry it everywhere anymore and keep it safely at home!)

On the back of this coin, was a picture of a dove and the motto was "In Peace, Goodwill" and the dove is commonly regarded as a symbol of peace and hope (as in the Noah's ark story, where the dove returning carrying an olive leaf indicated that it had found land) and as these are values/states that are important to me and which I do my best to bring about and due to always carrying this coin with me, Dove became a nickname I was given by my friends.

More recently, there was a soap-bar released called Dove and I didn't want to share a nickname with a bar of soap, so I stuck man on the end, to make sure people didn't get confused and start washing their armpits (or worse) with me Wink
This is a great nickname story. I can confirm you really live up to the name your friends gave you.
I love this thread!
(10-01-2013, 10:37 AM)Variable link Wrote:This is a great nickname story. I can confirm you really live up to the name your friends gave you.
I love this thread!

Thanks man.

Yeah, it's a great thread, really interesting learning some background about my fellow comrades. Smile
Haha, that's great doveman, RL nicknames are most times the most interesting  ;D

My nickname here isn't very international; Hopman.  It's he Dutch word for the highest ranked boy-scouts leader (which I never was, alltho I was a leader).  I gained the nickname because apparently I always use my scouts skills when needed; starting the BBQ, using impossible knots just to make a laundry line, navigating on hikes or road trips, etc...
Many would believe I got my nick from Top Gun, but actually I got it from the main character in Wing Commander, which is one of the best games ever IMO.  Can't wait for Star Citizen.

Probably Wing Commander got it from Top Gun, but...whatever.  Tongue  I hadn't ever even seen Top Gun back when I chose this nick.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7