Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Nicknames Origins
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Watching Top Gun now is a highly gay experience (really, no offence, this movie is filled with slow motion shots of partly naked men with skin oil).
Yeah, no kidding.  Tongue  Which is why I feel I must clarify that I got it from Wing Commander.

Hehe, this reminded me on Tarantino's take on Top Gun:

[url=
(10-03-2013, 07:10 PM)MavericK link Wrote:Can't wait for Star Citizen.

Likewise. I have already admired my Origin 300i in the hangar module, but can't fly it yet Big Grin
Allright. I've got nothing interesting but here we go:

Bubba was just some silly name that came into my mind when creating an account somewhere years ago. At the time it sounded funny so I just used it as I made new accounts for different games. And no, I don't know if I had even seen Forrest Gump before I started using it so it doesn't come from there. Now I even find it quite funny that a white Finnish guy is using a nickname that is best known from a black American guy.

And Then, my new nick, Spete. Fellow Finnish people might get the reference even without mentioning it, but Spede Pasanen (usually just Spede) was a famous Finn comedian and comedy actor. And as my IRL nickname is Pete, sometimes when I did something stupid/was just goofing around, my friends called me Spede or Spete. And now that I started at a university and got numerous new friends, I decided to start using a name I'm easier to recognize from. And I guess someone has already called me Spede here also.  ;D
HK stands for the german weapons manufacturer, Heckler und Koch. I use it because back during OFP days the MP Team versus Team servers were plagued with people using the HK G-36 (it had optics which the M16A2 and AK-74 both lacked). Don't ask me why it made sense in my head to include it my nick because I don't know what the hell was I thinking but it stuck.

Flash is just related to "When you see the flash its already too late...". Again kinda silly but my 14 year old mind (back in 2002/03) just kept having these ideas...
Ah! Another OFP vet added to the team. Great!
(10-10-2006, 11:35 AM)Fat Tony link Wrote:Well,
Tony Marony is the name of the greatest bavarian hero ever! But unfotunately nobody knows him nowadays.
He was the founder of saltsticks, defender against Austrians, he could climb up the highest mountains and his jodeling could still be heared in Munich! His lederhosen was so big, that they needed the leather of 2 cows and his haferlschua (bavarian boots) were as big as boats!
You see, all in all he was a really nice guy, and i thought his Name should never be forgotten! So I carry it with proud and in memory of big Tony Marony, hero of the bavarians!
Hail to Tony!

Lies! All Lies!

You're named after him, admit it!

[url=
(11-12-2013, 11:36 PM)rundll.exe link Wrote:[url=
(10-01-2013, 01:31 PM)rundll.exe link Wrote:My nickname here isn't very international; Hopman.  It's he Dutch word for the highest ranked boy-scouts leader (which I never was, alltho I was a leader).  I gained the nickname because apparently I always use my scouts skills when needed; starting the BBQ, using impossible knots just to make a laundry line, navigating on hikes or road trips, etc...

Heh, yeah I guess if you hadn't explained I'd think it was something to do with beer Smile

You sound like a very good person to have around in the great outdoors. I struggle to tie string round a parcel and suck at navigating without a GPS, as I'm sure has become apparent when I attempt to lead a squad in ArmA Wink
(10-03-2013, 07:10 PM)MavericK link Wrote:Many would believe I got my nick from Top Gun, but actually I got it from the main character in Wing Commander, which is one of the best games ever IMO.  Can't wait for Star Citizen.

Probably Wing Commander got it from Top Gun, but...whatever.  Tongue  I hadn't ever even seen Top Gun back when I chose this nick.

I've probably forgotten about the character Maverick in Top Gun, as I was so damaged by watching that film I've buried the memory of it as a defence mechanism, so it's good to know your nick comes from the uber-cool Wing Commander instead Wink

I think I've got Wing Commander Saga somewhere and some other Freespace 2 mods and really should try and find the time to play them as I've heard great things about them.
(10-09-2013, 04:05 PM)Spete link Wrote:Allright. I've got nothing interesting but here we go:

Bubba was just some silly name that came into my mind when creating an account somewhere years ago. At the time it sounded funny so I just used it as I made new accounts for different games. And no, I don't know if I had even seen Forrest Gump before I started using it so it doesn't come from there. Now I even find it quite funny that a white Finnish guy is using a nickname that is best known from a black American guy.

And Then, my new nick, Spete. Fellow Finnish people might get the reference even without mentioning it, but Spede Pasanen (usually just Spede) was a famous Finn comedian and comedy actor. And as my IRL nickname is Pete, sometimes when I did something stupid/was just goofing around, my friends called me Spede or Spete. And now that I started at a university and got numerous new friends, I decided to start using a name I'm easier to recognize from. And I guess someone has already called me Spede here also.  ;D

Cool. I'm going to expect far more jokes from you now then, although if they're in Finnish I won't understand them anyway, so you can just tell me they're funny and I'll believe you  ;D

I've always thought that Bubba was used more amongst white Southerners in the US though, so maybe they were having a bit of a joke in Forrest Gump if they gave that name to a black guy. Been ages since I've seen that film, so I might have to dig it out and watch it again sometime soon.
Ah, so... "vanha" means old in finnish but also in military jargon in here it sorta means a veteran or someone who's been around for awhile.
And the other connection is a charachter "old man" from Sven Hassel war novels.
Well,
Setup... A nick got from a friend, after being known as Nomad before, I saw too many of them and was looking for a nick change.
As I always play and tinker with options and preferences of games installed first, and play later, and usually dig deep in the possible setups of the game , as I like to have it running the best optimized way it can...
"Options"or "preferences" was too weird, but setup nailed it since it has multiple meanings, and fits my other hobby - flight simulators , mainly combat.
The capitalized version in game : S3TUP, came after I was asked to change it in an Arma server, saying they don't accept confusing nicks like error, exception or rundll... Smile
so I changed the e to 3 and had to capitalize so it won't look awkward like that : s3tup
Sometimes ppl are still calling me : S three tup...
Cheers
Wink

Edit: BTW, my real name is Ron...
Welcome aboard, Lainncli Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7