Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Black screen
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
The values look the same, I don't think logging stops at crash, but at reset.

I ran Memtest86 for 5 hours, 4 passes, no errors.
Ok, then I guess only GPU and motherboard remain as suspects. I would say that because of GPU detection problems you had earlier.

One more thing you can try if you still haven't is fresh Windows install. If you have spare HDD it may be easier for you.
Not sure if you've tried already, but you can do GPU memtests also:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/cudagpumemtest/
(03-28-2015, 09:08 AM)Outlawz7 link Wrote:The values look the same, I don't think logging stops at crash, but at reset.

I ran Memtest86 for 5 hours, 4 passes, no errors.
So RAM seems OK. If logging continues after the crash, then clearly it's not the CPU that's crashing, so it does seem to only leave the GPU, motherboard, power to the GPU or a combination. If it's crashing when doing a OCCT CPU only test though (or another CPU only test like IntelBurnTest or Prime95) that would seem to rule out the GPU being the problem.
I think it stops logging at crash since I can't activate Caps Lock key (press it but no light), so it's a crash/freeze, not just screen going black. It crashed during OCCT GPU test, I tested OCCT CPU for 2 hrs and nothing happened, then again it's random, I ran A3 for 2.5 hours today and no crash, start it up again and crashed after 5 mins.
I removed the GTX 770, but had issues with ArmA3 crashing on mobo gfx (Intel HD 4000). This fixed it:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/468...0&tstart=0

I'll be looking into warranty for 770.

Meanwhile, OFP graphics here I come
http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/...9A356B4FE/
Maybe you can try again that 770 with "clean installation"
Quote:Installing a new version of the GeForce graphics driver is usually a relatively straightforward procedure, as covered on the next page of this guide. However, it is highly recommended that you do a "clean installation" - that is, first remove all previous versions of Nvidia graphics drivers and settings - particularly under the following circumstances:

• If you're experiencing graphical issues and/or generally poor performance in several games.
  • If Nvidia Control Panel settings are not working as they should.
  • If you've ever installed an older GeForce version over a newer version.
  • If you've ever run into errors or crashes while installing or uninstalling the GeForce driver.
  • If you've switched from an AMD GPU to an Nvidia GPU without reinstalling Windows.
  • If your current Windows installation is more than a year old, and you've installed numerous GeForce drivers on it in that time.
    [li][/l][/l][/l][/l][/l][/l][/l][/l]
I suggest you use a manual method as described in Nvidia GeForce Tweak Guide  Big Grin

(04-03-2015, 08:12 PM)Outlawz7 link Wrote:I removed the GTX 770, but had issues with ArmA3 crashing on mobo gfx (Intel HD 4000). This fixed it:

Good to know in case I ever have to resort to my onboard video.

Might be worth trying a clean install of Windows before you write off the 770. If you haven't got room to make another partition for dual boot, you can create a VHD file and boot that from the Windows boot menu (use Easy BCD to add it) and install Windows in that. It's always handy to have an alternative to boot, in case your main one gets messed up and you haven't got time to sort it out.
Reinstalled Windows, still crashed.
Oh well, worth a try! Guess it's definitely hardware then but I don't know any way to be certain whether it's the GPU or motherboard, other than trying another GPU. I guess if the motherboard is much older than the GPU that might make it more likely to have failed but the old PSU could have damaged either I guess, as it was connected to both directly.
Claimed warranty two weeks ago, got a replacement GTX 770 today, installed, same crash/freeze occurred in 5 minutes. It's a new fucking card.

I think I'll try installing it in the other slot and if that doesn't work, borrow a PSU again to see if it's that.

edit: installing it in the other slot didn't help either, it even froze before Windows loaded after resetting PC because of a crash just before.
Clean drivers install?
Check for virus?
Hard drive disk check?
Disconnect all Usb devices except mouse and keyboard?(weird but it sometimes works)

No crashes when you were using on board graphics? If you were stable until you're re-introduced your new GPU, it could indicate a PSU issue -- what is your wattage? You can do some quick PSU calculations:

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

Hope you figure it out!
Since getting two faulty GPU's in a row is not likely (although technically possible), I suspect it's motherboard.

At this point consider taking your PC somewhere where expert can examine it. 
(05-09-2015, 06:05 PM)Misha link Wrote:Since getting two faulty GPU's in a row is not likely (although technically possible), I suspect it's motherboard.

That would be my suspicion as well, considering you've already changed the PSU and GPU and it's not crashing using onboard, which would seem to rule out the CPU.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8