Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Black screen
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
The only thing I haven't swapped out is RAM, HDD, DVD drive, PSU. Yes, I reinstalled Windows. Tbh, fuck this, I'm getting another GPU. I wasted entire April trying to figure this out, I'm not wasting another month.
Maybe its the RAM ?
Is your 770 the factory over clocked variant? If so try and under clock it by 3-4%. I did that with mine and my crashes seem to have stopped. The only time I crash is when I've forgotten to run the under clock profile I made with the software that came with my card. Afterburner will probably do the trick. I also tried raising voltage but that didn't help. Arma 3 seems to be extra sensitive to OC, no other game crashes with the factory OC for me
(06-12-2015, 01:00 PM)McGregor link Wrote:Is your 770 the factory over clocked variant? If so try and under clock it by 3-4%.

Yes, Asus GTX770-dc2oc-2gd5

How do I underclock it properly? i tried it with GPUTweak and moved the sliders left and right and it still crashed.

I did hit something new today, I used 341.44 nvidia driver, installed only the gfx driver and Physx, Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings > Global Setting > Power Management Mode >"Prefer Maximum Performance" and lowered ingame res to 1600x900. Oh and turned off Aero theme.

It now recovers instead of freezing, but the graphics go pixelated and I have this in Event Viewer:
Quote:The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Video7
12b2(1f5c) 00000000 00000000
If you use Afterburner just lower the core clock slider and hit apply. In my case I lowered it 4%, that equaled to -53Mhz in my case. I used Zotac FireStorm though since I have a Zotac card but the process should be the same in Afterburner. I have never used GPUTweak so I don't know about that but I'd imaging it would be similar. Just make sure you hit apply after you tweaked otherwise it wont do anything
Either I'm not doing it right or it doesn't help, crash still occurs.
(06-12-2015, 07:20 PM)Outlawz7 link Wrote:Either I'm not doing it right or it doesn't help, crash still occurs.
If you use RTSS overlay (part of Afterburner) then at least you'll be able to see that it's definitely running underclocked. I know you tested your RAM before but worth doing that again on your new motherboard, just to check it's configured correctly.

You might want to ask on the guru3d forum as they know a lot about GPUs and drivers and might be able to think of something if you tell them what you've already tried.

Did BIOS update for new MB and the GTX770, still crashes.

(06-12-2015, 11:36 PM)doveman link Wrote:You might want to ask on the guru3d forum as they know a lot about GPUs and drivers and might be able to think of something if you tell them what you've already tried.

I'll do that
(06-12-2015, 11:07 AM)Varanon link Wrote:Maybe its the RAM ?

Gave this a thought, the only thing that's older than 2-3 years in my case are the RAM sticks.

I decided to do another memtest but then I realized I lost my USB key somewhere in between leaving it on the table before going to bed and waking up and it not being there.  ???

Thoughts on CML8GX3M2A1600C9 for new RAM?
So I borrowed a Corsair VS650 PSU (same one that I borrowed in Feb when I had problems with that Chieftec PSU failing) and RAM. It crashed with different RAM, so I swapped PSUs.

It hasn't crashed yet, but with the new RAM it also took its god damn time to do that, so I'm not confirming anything yet.

However there is a difference in max tempts, with my Antec I had max GPU temp at 73°C whereas with Corsair I haven't passed 60 so far. Antec does have a huge bundle of cables (there's at least two PCIE power cables, maybe three). I'm thinking overheating.

Should I get a modular PSU or a new tower? I've been looking at LC-Power 971B Infiltrator.
If you suspect overheating, do your tests without the case's cover. It will decrease the max temperature significantly.
I already did the tests with the case open, and it's not overheating because it crashed with the Corsair PSU as well. Lower temps might have occurred because of the 650W PSU instead of my 750.

Researching that Event 14 error, looks like the solution is "nvidia is shit". I will try downgrading the drivers even more, worked for the Intel 4000 :p

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...e-found/2/

A 750W PSU shouldn't cause your GPU to heat up 13c more than a 650w one. Obviously if you're drawing more power than that will create more heat but with both you're probably only be using about 400W. I'd have though the Antec would be more efficient as well, meaning less wasted energy being turned into heat. I doubt the extra cables would make much difference unless they're directly blocking the GPU fans either. The only thing I can think is that maybe the Antec's fan is pushing more of the heat into the case whereas the Corsair is venting more outside. If you haven't already got one, a case where the PSU is bottom mounted so the fan is facing outwards should avoid the PSU heating the GPU but that doesn't seem to be the cause of your problem anyway.
Tried underclocking with MSI Afterburner and unless there's something more to it than moving the core clock slider to the left, crashed.

I keep Googling in effort to find a solution and it seems there's tons of "my nvidia gpu black screens and no idea how to fix it" topics.

btw is it normal that when you install a GPU it first shows/installs drivers for "Standard VGA Adapter"? Because that's what led me to believe it was the motherboard's fault when it was this fucking brick of a 770 all along.

edit: well it was this video as well
You need to click Apply in Afterburner for any adjustments you make to take effect.

Yeah, it's normal to see "standard vga adapter" before you install the proper drivers.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8