Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Arma 3 Discussion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
I don't have a problem with Steam, tbh.

I am currently miffed at BI because they hype us to death with twitter feeds (Oh, I see a blib on the radar, and it's damn huge) and then just say how A3 will be distributed... geez, what about the announcing the announcements that they didn't want to do anymore ?
I personally use steam a lot and I don't have a problem with steam either though the guys over at armaholic seems to be boiling heat about steam. I don't mind how long ARMA 3 wants to take as long as it comes out good and polished. The modding community doesn't seem too happy either. Hopefully we don't lose some good content makers. Modding community fear would be the usage of steamworks which they want to avoid. I can work both ways so it doesn't matter to me as long as it isn't dumbed down too hardcore on the gameplay side of it.

http://www.armaholic.com/forums.php?m=po...20650&d=15

It was somewhat clear that the exclusivity would create a shitstorm, although I am surprised at the amount of bullshitting about steam I read. Even from people I actually respect.

I can understand some concerns, but I take Civ V and Skyrim as an example of a steam title with Steam Workshop integration, and I see none of the problems there that are cried about.

Regarding taking longer: Some people (even Wolle) said "Then wait another year". I am a professional software developer myself, and to those people I really would pose the question "Do you have ANY clue about software development ?". Because another YEAR can easily amount several 100.000 € in additional cost. Show me one company that can shrug off, say, half a million in additional cost for a project ? You won't sell more copies, so the expected income is the same, just the expected cost is much bigger. It's a simple calculation.

What really pisses me off in the whole discussion is the people that just come up with bogus arguments, hearsay, or just plain bullshit. There's only a few valid points.

As a whole, I'm not particularly thrilled about the steam exclusivity, but not put off by it either. What I found more alarming in yesterday's news is the mention that they wouldn't get it done in 2013 if they wouldn't go for Steam. Now I know that distribution takes some time, but heck, that means we'll be lucky if it comes out in Winter 2013. I honestly wonder what they have been doing for the last half year since the E3 and Gamescon presentations. I mean, yeah, Ivan and Martin injail, etc, but if that delays your project so much, you've been doing something really wrong.
What really pisses me off is all the whining. Boy, they behave like little kids stomping their foot.
I don't mind it at all. I've been using steam for a long time and I've always been a happy customer. They have even fixed most of the issues that have bothered BIS before regarding arma 2 now. You don't even have to pay extra for Gabe since you can buy the game where ever you want.

This can also bring a lot of positive things to the communities through steamworks and steam community features.
I can imagine it being a lot easier keeping everyone up to date on the addons you are using, since everyone will be on steam and hopefully able to download the required addons directly from the steam interface.
It will also be neat to be able to announce games and events on steam and even notify group members about them.

I hope this wasn't their "big announcement in february" and there is still an announcement coming on release date, community alpha and what not coming next week.
I also got the idea somewhere that the game has gone through some changes so I'm hoping nothing too significant has been scrapped from their vision and goals. Hoping to hear more soon.
(02-23-2013, 01:11 AM)Nouty link Wrote: [ -> ]I don't mind it at all. I've been using steam for a long time and I've always been a happy customer. They have even fixed most of the issues that have bothered BIS before regarding arma 2 now. You don't even have to pay extra for Gabe since you can buy the game where ever you want.

I can also only say good things about Steam, had an issue once when they ran out of keys for a weekend deal, but that wasn't their fault. And I've been using it since 2005.

Quote:I hope this wasn't their "big announcement in february" and there is still an announcement coming on release date, community alpha and what not coming next week.
I also got the idea somewhere that the game has gone through some changes so I'm hoping nothing too significant has been scrapped from their vision and goals. Hoping to hear more soon.

Likewise, after all the hype they created on Twitter I had hoped for at least some news on the Alpha.

I am a bit concerned about a few things, like saying that they have to get Arma 3 out this year "or else", and that some people (whether justified or not) are going to boycott Arma 3, among them Sander. Obviously, the game doesn't hinge on single people, but if enough of them decide to skip on it, all the others have to work double hard or we'll run out of missions to play.

I do hope they make the mission editor a bit more accessible to non-scripters.
I wasn't aware that there are so many people that dislike steam. Me, I like it, it saved me a lot of money and I have a library full of games that I don't have time to play. Yay! But forcing you to have steam is a bad thing. I don't know what BIS has out of that deal. I am more worried about sci-fi theme of the game. By now Arma games were rooted in reality, scenarios were realistic as they can be for a computer game. So much that you can recognize which small or more obscure conflicts influenced their scenarios. Not counting Takistan (I realise more and more how OA's techno style and badass-overequiped-3rd-world-saving-democracy-bringing cliche damaged this game). And now we have Iran invading Europe. In Star Wars stormtroopers uniforms. Will have Darth Wader instead of General Guba soon.

I wasn't aware of the schism that Steam created among Arma community. Just when we need addon and mission makers to help us get out of this Sci-fi nightmare. But I am somehow excited about the future. not only Arma 3, but also other possible games that will maybe bring something similar to Arma experience, although it is too early to say if DCS series will expand to infantry combat (there are some hints) or will Outera bring any Arma style games. I know that the more is the merrier.
(02-23-2013, 11:57 PM)Miša link Wrote: [ -> ]I am more worried about sci-fi theme of the game. By now Arma games were rooted in reality, scenarios were realistic as they can be for a computer game. So much that you can recognize which small or more obscure conflicts influenced their scenarios. Not counting Takistan (I realise more and more how OA's techno style and badass-overequiped-3rd-world-saving-democracy-bringing cliche damaged this game). And now we have Iran invading Europe. In Star Wars stormtroopers uniforms. Will have Darth Wader instead of General Guba soon.

While I was skeptical about this in the beginning too, I am also relieved to finally see a high-tech OPFOR. No more WW2 guns for the "bad guys".  I'm also quite sure it won't be as bad as Darth Vader and laser guns.

Let's see how it develops. With the new technology they are offering 8game wise, not the fictional technology) mod makers will have an easier go at things, too, meaning clothing, weapon models with attachment (no more 100+ versions of the same gun with just different attachments, right Alwarren Big Grin )
I've never used steam, and I'm not to keen on another forever-in-your-taskbar program that I only need for one game.
However, if that's the only way they can guarantee a seamless distribution, and avoid the terrible installation, updates, language mess, then let them go for it. Who knows they might even use it for addon sync?

Let's face it, BIS has never been good in distributing games, and finding the right update for your version (DVD, sprocket, previous updates, DLC, etc) has been a huge mess every time. I think it's even brave from them to admit that they'd better join the winning team  Wink
Oh, and I quote,
Quote:Originally Posted by KarelMoricky
As we stand on the verge of revealing our plans for Arma 3, there is one big topic we'd like to get out there first.

Big Grin
Hey, currently, their website shows "Forbidden"... I just hope that they bring out some substantial news (preferably release date and immediate availability of alpha)
Arma 3 release plans released: http://www.arma3.com/

You can buy the alpha on march 5th, when it launches, and get the beta and full game with the same purchase.
Prices start at 24,99!!
Looks like I'm getting the supporter edition. It's very expensive but a man has to be a fanboy of something in life, isn't he? Wink
LOL, yeah, supporter edition all the way. Just need to be quick about it, only 500 get into the end credits ^^
Maybe deluxe for me. Even though there's nothing there for me really, just to support BIS Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10