Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: DCS: World
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47
came in late, but got to plkay 2 huey missions, probably missed all the a10 ones.

the one with turtle.. well.. at least one of the apcs we were protecting survived, also learned that I should return to base when the copilot is dead ans the windscreen almost completly shot to pices.

next missions unfortunately didnt work and on the next mission that worked I proved that boredly flying arround is a good way to destroy a chopper. this time i RTBed when my co pilot was dead and the windscreen alsmost completly gone after a near miss of a rocket and missed the action at the second objective as there were no repairs ans ammo avaiable at the farp
We finally managed to play with four people again which was great

We started with an A-10c dogfight, which I think is a great warmup since one go takes less than 5 minutes and it really teaches you to take the airplane to the edge of the envelope.

On Reverse Cowboy the Mig21 mission the formation flying went a lot better than previous times, but we need to check our keybindings before starting in the future, which kept beeing a problem throughout the night.

We played Cold Turtle twice. I knew the difficulty was high, but I was suprised how high on our first try. The more remarkable that we did it the second time around. One or two triggers need adjusting, but I a thought it was great playing this mission with a full set of 4 people.´

Our last mission really showed that it was past 12 and everybody was tired, but what we can take away from it that it is that its maybe a good idea that the Uh-1 coordinate their strikes. As in:
L]ead calls out an attack direction.
The attacker calls out running in.
The second attacker waits for the first attacker to announce clear of target area.

Yesterday was a bit haunted by technical difficulties, nevertheless we had some great flights.

I didn't do very well in the A-10 Dogfights, I managed to get behind Sithis right away every time but somehow managed to blow my advantage right away... I'll have to rethink my strategy. Anyways, cool warmup mission

On the MiG mission my keybindings were screwed up (like Sithis already hinted...). Same problem later in the M2000... Anyways, it stopped me from using my radar to lock onto targets and fire missiles, so had to go in for guns.
I notice that everytime we fly the MiG21 I have problem keeping up with Sithis despite identical loadouts, we should look into that sometime (??)

I loved the Cold Turtle mission, close in and personal with the Huey. In this machine it's actually possible to find and engage single infantry targets. Also having to rely on visual navigation is a nice change of pace. Coordinating with the single Ka50 to take out greater threats at distance adds a nice level of depth. Great mission Sithis Smile

So the last mission was a bit messed up (well, our performance rather then the mission itself). The Huey flight was rather uncoordinated and we actually had a friendly fire incident with me on the receiving end. Sithis already summed up nicely what we have to do to avoid this. Since I was flight lead for the Hueys I have to take the blame for not coordinating my team properly. Then again, it was after 12... Smile

We also had to abort two missions due to technical problems, one of them mine. I had a look at it and I think it should work for next time. I'll also keep in mind to check my key bindings if there's another update (my M2000 canopy was unmapped completely (even from keyboard)...)

I also learned that the MiG21 has no mechanism to keep the landing from retracting on the ground (other then that manual bolt you have to remove to operate the lever)...so that's something to keep in mind :/

In unrelated news, I finally had an idea for a squadron insignea Smile
[Image: pinUp_whoopsie_daisy_draft_small.png]
[youtube] [/youtube]
Hey, I finally flew! One might say because of many missed Saturdays that I may have fear of flying, but that is not the case!

Anyway, I'll keep it short. It was wonderful, or wunderbar if you prefer. Especially since this was actually my first time flying Huey in a combat mission. I see now why is it so good for simple missions, less button pushing, more spraying and praying!

I also didn't know that my joystick settings have reverted to default settings by an update. So I need to set it up all over again till next time, otherwise I may end up lawn mowing with A-10C.

I know you guys make nice missions, how about one with F-86, wink wink.
Since everybody is loving the UH-1 I will try to put together another mission like Cold Turtle for Saturday.

Also we have a mission from Manuels awesome campaign lined up and Mirror which will be A-10c for most of us.

The JTAC mission will be fixed by then, if there will even be time left for it in the end.

Im not sure I will be mission ready with the F86 by Saturday, let alone have a mission ready for it.
Manuel are you an F-86 driver as well?

I hope to see all of you guys again on Saturday.
(01-26-2016, 05:16 PM)Sithis link Wrote:Since everybody is loving the UH-1 I will try to put together another mission like Cold Turtle for Saturday.

Need an AFAC for that ? Wink
(01-26-2016, 05:16 PM)Sithis link Wrote:Manuel are you an F-86 driver as well?

Not mission ready I'm afraid, I would have to re-learn most systems (it's not to complex as far as i remember...)

I think I should be able to do simple stuff by saturday (bomber interception or something like that...?)
@Unnamed
Ok A-10c + 4 Uh-1 it will be

@Manuel + Misha
Yeah ok I could make a bomber intercept mission in no time and get mission ready enough to fly it by Saturday
Hey, no problem if no F-86 mission. You make 'em anyway, so do what inspires you the most, I'll be happy to fly anything that shoots, and even something that doesn't Wink

Manuel had a point about coordinating more in the future during the missions. We were lucky in that Huey mission that there was no friendly kills or even collisions. At least once I saw somebody flying almost straight at me during the strafing runs, but not too close. And ricochet and blasts are also something to avoid.

I think I'll make it next Saturday, but no red eye flights Wink 
Once again great flying tonight. The last mission was pretty long (way longer than anticipated tbh...)

If you wonder how it went after you left Sithis...
[Image: crash_landing.png]

Yes, I am still alive. Yes, the canopy was able to lift the whole thing so I could have gotten out. Therefore I could have walked away which qualifies it as a good landing!

The better part of the convoy was destroyed, I'll call it mission accomplished. I'll write a more extensive debrief soon, for now I just wanted to share this feat of brilliant aviation
Alright guys sorry for my early departure on saturday, but I was loosing concentration and knew that with a 15 minute flight and another 15 minutes return plus rearm and refuel I would have been well past useful.

However great picture. I think that is what would have happened to me, plus a lot more burning.

We started off with some F-86 action in various CAP missions and I got to say we got better and better as we went. It was a lot of action and a lot of fun.

Shadow on the sun was the mission we played in Manuels A-10c campaign and the last one without TGPs.

Im going to start with what I didnt like and finish on the positive.
I dont mind suicide mission in general, but I think we can all agree that attacking radarguided AAA without JTAC,TGP or guided weapons is pretty much suicide. So far I really loved the campaign for its story and consistent world, but Going 0 to Kamikaze in one mission kind of breaks the immersion a little.

Combined with limited supplies and a very long way there and back the mission started to drag.

What I did like is the concept of having to do a low patrol, becuase of the fighter threat and encountering different convoys as we went. I think the simplest fix would be to exchange all radar AAA against Zeus on trucks. They are still challenging with the kind of loadout we got and maybe we will have to return once each, but not as frustrating as the tracked Übercannons. Also maybe provide an alternate airfield that is a little closer, so that you dont have to limb over half the map.
(02-01-2016, 05:33 PM)Sithis link Wrote:However great picture. I think that is what would have happened to me, plus a lot more burning.

There was a fair amount of burning involved, but turns out those built in fire extinguishers are pretty potent Wink

Well, we are going to have less of a ammunition supply problem from here on out, and some advanced weapons. As for the Litening pods, to quote the briefing:

Quote:Ford51 also has a number of Litening targeting pods on board.

and Ford51 later in the mission

Quote:FORD51, MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY! WE ARE GOING DOWN, ECHO GOLF... ah shit, somewhere!

Anyways, the Sabre missions were great fun. I love to finally do some AA combat. I already told Misha what he missed Smile

As for the evening campaign mission, thanks for the feedback Sithis. I agree, I wont use Shilkas anymore until we have something to even the playing field... (literally, even it out, turn it into a parking lot)
The M2k flying I've been doing lately must have skewed my understanding for distances on the map...(across Georgia and back again, that's like 5 minutes, right?). I knew it was going to be a long mission, but it was way longer than I wanted it to be.

For the next missions I promise less distance and better odds against the targets. Just bear with me, I'm going for something here.

As for the fighter threat, High Priest did tell us to stay low, and we knew that there was something out there (Ford51 reportet something that "looks like Flankers"). At one point somebody must have gotten high enough to trigger the Interceptors that shot Sithis and Unnamed down.
So I'm wandering if my hinting was to subtle?

Lastly, I know I'm terribly slow compiling new videos lately, but I managed to make a quick one of one of the Sabre missions. I'm planning on making a sort-of compilation video of some of our recent flights but I don't have much time right now...
Anyways, enjoy
(02-01-2016, 11:20 PM)Manuel link Wrote:As for the fighter threat, High Priest did tell us to stay low, and we knew that there was something out there (Ford51 reportet something that "looks like Flankers"). At one point somebody must have gotten high enough to trigger the Interceptors that shot Sithis and Unnamed down.
So I'm wandering if my hinting was to subtle?

Yeah I totally got that, but between burning, dying and crashing I bet I broke the ceiling once or twice.
Usually I really like an element that restricts you like that.
Flying tonight?

Local ATC reports all clear but warns about danger of local wildlife (house cats) infesting the cockpit.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47